Pagina's

How to use Breakdance skills for fighting

Breakdancing and using it to fight?

If you read the about me page then you already know I trained the dance form called breakdance. Someone may ask, so how can you use breakdancing for fighting? I will tell you

Stances and skills.

Much like shaolin kungfu breakdancing relies on stance training, power training, agility, cardio and body control (balance). If you train the basic stances for long periods of time you will find that you have gained new power or energy. From these stances there are several ways to move or use your power to transition to a new stance. Breakdance stances can be fixed positions or dynamic positions but there we always be a fixed point, that's called a stance (hahaha). Here are some stances:


These stances really look like some kungfu stances if you ask me, they can all be found in the shaolin drunken boxing system and others.

So what did I use in fighting?

There is one move I came up on my own which I'm very proud of. Well I didn't really come up with all of it, but the transition was all me. I'm not saying others can't or didn't already come up with it, but no one tout me these moves. I call this move or transitional stance changes: Baby turtle in the cradle transforms to tiger kicking. It actually sounds really Chinese when you know some shaolin names. But Baby turtle transforms to tiger kicking, is actually really what you would be doing when you are doing this move/moves. It's a lot like taiji, where a posture is actually a few moves until you have reached the last ready to transition to the next posture. This moves is very powerfull when laying on your back and someone is ready to attack you from a standing position.

I will try to explain with pictures what the move is all about.

The Cradle part 
(right leg should first be on the backside ready to kick into this stance on the picture)



Windmill part

The Baby Turtle


Tiger Kick Handstand (something like this but with an angle)


There is actually a shoalin kungfu move that looks very similar like this move (Baby turtle transforms to tiger kicking). But it lacks in balance because it's all dynamic, but with the breakdance fighting move you will end up in a handstand.

The Story:

After I won the junior breakdance championship I soon started to train kempo again. When I was sparring with the teacher he caught me of-balance and I fell to the ground. I found myself on my back in the "cradle position" ready to fire with my backleg. And so I pushed my backleg into the ground to get a spiral kick going when the teacher stepped into range. The teacher saw something coming so he lifted his leg up and so missed the first shot. The backleg that did the initial kick spiraled above my torso making my backspin due to the body mechanics. At that time from the baby turtled I pushed up to the tiger kick on handstand which nearly hit teacher's face. It didn't hit teacher's face because he blocked with two palms over each other neutralizing my kicking force while slightly stepping back a few inches. He really didn't expect me to do something like, I could read it on his face. He once said you can always incorporate Capoera (brazilian fight dance) into your system if it gives you an edge. Little did he know that I never even trained Capoera. I trained breakdance in a shaolin manner, other dancers never called me a dancer they always said my break-dancing looked slightly different. But who cares? This is just one incident where I took a skill from something totally different and incorporated it into fighting, don't let me get started on cooking skills. Did I mention that I'm a cook? Wokking skills are nice to use in fighting to! That's another post I suppose..

Please leave a comment below, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment